Sunday, April 24, 2011

Find me if you can.

Find me if you can.

One of our Light Sussex chooks has started to lay, about 6 eggs a week. The rest shouldn't be too far behind. Initially she laid one a day in the nesting boxes but after a week or so the flow of eggs dried up. Yes, we had progressed from collecting the eggs to find the eggs if you can. She had made her own nest, well camouflaged in the long grass. 

Three eggs
The accommodation is just not up to standard.


We bought another pair of pilgrim goose. 
More for the gaggle

We now have four pilgrim females, five pilgrim ganders, three cross-bred females and a further three young  juvenile cross-bred ganders. The three young cross-bred ganders are destined for the pot someday. The plan was to have one for Easter dinner however he received a last minute reprieve. I had everything ready- almost. I had no trouble catching the gander, these are so quiet you can just pick them up, carried him over to the chopping block where the cleaver was waiting, and the gander just lay there obligingly, with his neck outstretched on the block. He was so peaceful and trusting I just couldn't do it. I must be getting soft, I grew up in an era where killing animals to eat was just one more routine job. These bloody geese are just too quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment