Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Autumn Is Here

A Frosty Morning

Ripening Nectarines
Well Autumn is here again and the days are slowly getting shorter. Plants in my flower garden are slowing down for the Winter. Soon the leaves will be putting on their beautiful Autumn foliage show. We were only 5 days into Autumn when I woke up to a big frost last week. The paddocks were white and beautiful in the early morning light. The day before we had a blast of Arctic Southerly wind. That night I thought no we won’t have a frost tonight so there’s no need to cover anything. But I was wrong. We didn’t loose much thank goodness only my Dahlias in the flower garden and the Fig Tree got hit a bit and so did the pumpkins and corn. All in all not too bad.

On the plus side the Apples are looking beautiful with their shiny new redness. The Pears are getting bigger and the Nectarines are now ripening nicely and they taste good too. There are a few of each on the ground of a morning as the Possums have a bit of a feed during the night. I don’t mind, as I love the wildlife coming into the garden.  From now on it will get cooler and cooler as we roll into Winter. Thank goodness we have our new wood stove on the way to us from the UK. Can’t wait to set that up and start cooking on it. It will keep us warm as well as provide us with hot water. This will be our first Tassie Winter here on the farm it will be interesting to see how we go.
Michelle
Rosey Red Apples
Yummy Pears

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is fantastic looking fruit, I wonder if the trees were already there when you bought your place?

    Lovely blog, lets me fantasise about moving to Tassie :)

    All the best

    Helen

    ReplyDelete